I originally planned to make this into make this into a free ebook where there was an opt in required but considering the amount of BS of fitness info and ads you experience everyday combined with short attention spans I decided to be different. Going to keep it simple, realistic and easy to follow this way you can enjoy the summer without having to worry about calorie counting, macros and feeling bad about missing a workout.
Ahh summer. For me summer meant going to Coney Island to enjoy one (or two) Nathan’s hot dogs, fries. Seeing a Brooklyn Cyclones game. Getting Itialian ice and a slice of pizza at Original Pizza in Canarsie. Of course summer wouldn’t be complete without ice cream from Mr.Softy.
When I started getting into fitness I still enjoyed those things and never felt guilty! Now that I’m living in Philly I’m planning to do enjoy much of the same especially trying Water Ice for the first time.
Unfortunately I’ve seen from clients and students is how much people fall off their fitness plans during the summer. That’s due to BBQ’s, happy hours, vacation and not to mention who the hell wants to workout in a hot, smelly gym during the summer?!
What I’ve created for you is simple tips to survive the summer months. The most important thing I want to emphasize is for you to NOT FEEL GUILTY about food and missing a workout or two. I want you to enjoy life! There’s more to life than just working out and calories. If you decide to go on vacation and splurge with family and friends–go for it!! What matters is that you are living life to its fullest surrounded by people you love.
Never sacrifice time and creating memories with loved ones over healthy eating (I’m not saying do this everyday) and missing a workout. After all, what good is having a badass healthy body if you have nobody in your life to share it with?
Surviving BBQ’S :
- Load up on salad before you have a burger but skip the fatty dressing.
- Eat the damn burger and hot dog! (Just limit yourself to no more than 2 and space out the time between each to give your body time to digest)
- Avoid soda including diet soda! Have water instead.
- If you must snack choose whole wheat or whole grain chips
- If you must drink, enjoy a glass of red wine and/or vodka soda.
- Drink a 10 energy shot for caffeine. 1 shot is all you need to get you through the day
- Don’t even think about calories. Just enjoy yourself!
- Take your workouts outside by joining an outdoor fitness program
- Sign up for a recreation league such as softball, kickball, dodgeball etc.
- If you are working out in a gym keep your workouts to 15-30 mins consisting of high intensity total body workouts. (This way you can enjoy the summer).
- Give your body time to rest! If you are working out hard 3-5 times a week your body will be craving rest so it can recover and as a result you will see the results you want.
- Missed a day? Fuggetabouit! As long as you were having fun than missing a workout isn’t going to set you back.
- Sign up for a race in the fall! It could be a Spartan Sprint, 5K or 10K race. By signing up NOW, you are more likely to want to workout and be consistent.